"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." ~ Aristotle

Monday, May 9, 2011

"Wouldn't it be nice if they...."

Going along with my previous post about finding balance, you need to know when to laugh at yourself. Today my partner said he'd "never seen someone go through emotions as fast as you." What happened?

Well, returning to quarters from a transport the garage door opener flew off the sun visor and landed on the dash. Considering I'm on an expressway at the time, I just leave it there. Upon pulling in front of the garage door, I pull forward, then line the ambulance up and stop. Reaching for the opener, I press the button; the door doesn't open. No big surprise, could be I didn't press the button hard enough, a low battery, a disturbance in the Force. I press it again; nothing. A third time...nothing. Remember that saying about repeating a sequence expecting a different response? I was well on the way there.

So I continue pressing the button, trying different variables of pressure, duration, angle, pointing it in the mirror, nothing. After several frustrating minutes my partner looks at his mirror, then at me and says "Bay 2 is open." I look down at the dash, back up at where I'm parked...doh! In my admiration of the spring sunshine and a beautiful day, I neglected to remember I pulled out of bay 2 for this call. Meanwhile, I'm parked in front of (and demanding that the door to) bay 1 open. The ambulance we're in ALWAYS goes in bay 2.

My partner looks at me and says "Wouldn't it be nice if they put the ambulance number in big letters on the dashboard," pointing at the 3" Scotchlite numbers pasted on the dash in front of him. He and I shared a laugh for a good five minutes before I could muster the ability to park the ambulance in the correct bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment