"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." ~ Aristotle

Monday, August 4, 2014

Fitness in EMS

Every once in a while, a trend starts regarding the fitness for duty of EMS providers, including a recent story of a fire department mandating fitness while on duty for their firefighters and paramedics. While I'm not on board with departments mandating fitness while on duty, I am on board with EMS providers needing to be held to a higher standard of physical fitness.

Those of you who know me personally are well aware I'm not a well-chiseled physical specimen. For years I've comprised my diet from the likes of McDonald's, Wendy's, and Burger King, with a few other specialties sprinkled in for bad measure. As a result, I've "suffered" the consequences of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetes, and an expansive waist line. The costs have also included being unable to keep up with my seven year old son or go kayaking with my wife...and much, much more.

In the past, I've been openly asked if I made EMS my career because "you're too fat for the fire service." As much as that statement hurt, part of it is true: I'd never qualify with a fire department. There's no "weigh" I'd make it through the rigors of fire training in full turnout, mask confidence, or maze courses. In fact, I will openly criticize any fire service that accepts morbidly obese members and permits them to participate in active firefighting activities, including pump operators and "exterior only" operations. It's not safe for anyone, least of all the people who are unhealthy.

Being overweight has caused me to question at times whether I can still do this job. All the aches and pains I experience on a daily basis are quite possibly related to 17 years of lifting and moving people...or are they? The continuous exhaustion is ridiculous. The desire to eat nothing but junk is damn near impossible to overcome some days.

Where am I going with this? I can't take the negativity, self-imposed or otherwise, anymore. I can't continue to be hypocritical when talking with patients about their life choices when I obviously haven't made the best decisions. I shouldn't have patients asking me if I'm okay after moving them down the stairs. And I certainly can't keep this up anymore. I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.

Hi, my name's Jon, and I'm a morbidly obese EMT. I'm also a father, a husband, a son, a brother, and a human being that's just trying to live my life as long as I can. I'm making a change, starting today, to be healthier. If you're in a similar situation, better or worse, I encourage you to do the same. This is a big step for me, admitting I have a problem and openly sharing the details. I'll keep you up to date, and see how this all works out...I hope you'll follow me on this journey.

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Jon!

    Great post and decision to start a journey towards better health. What can I do to support, encourage, cajole, or otherwise assist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same being a nurse! I support you with your recognition and efforts towards a healthier lifestyle! Best wishes for our journeys!

    ReplyDelete